Sprint announced today that the Nexus S 4G, will be getting a software update on July 25, 2011. The update will begin to roll out on the 25, and all users will have it within 3 weeks. The update will bring better data speeds to the Nexus S 4G. It will also provide several other updates to the phone. The enhancements that were made should; increase 4G data speeds and signal strength for users, improves Wi-Fi connectivity, speakerphone audio quality and adds TTY support for the deaf and hard of hearing. So, it sounds like a god update all around. Fared Adib ,vice president of Product Development for Sprint, had to say this about the update, “Nexus S 4G continues to be a highly sought after smartphone and performs very well for our customers. We are excited to make additional enhancements that will provide an even better user experience. We’re committed to listening to our customers’ feedback and working with our partners to provide the best possible customer experience,”. Sprint has been working hard on this update, and is excited to give it to there customers. They want there customers to have the best experience with there phone. Sprint, worked with Google and Samsung when developing the update, this way they could get best results for there customers. Overall, it will be nice to see the increase in data speeds. You can see the full press release from Sprint below.
Nexus S 4G Software Update Roll Out Begins on July 25, Boosts Data
Nexus S™ 4G is getting a software update designed to improve 4G data speeds for users and provide several other updates. The release will begin rolling out to Nexus S 4G handsets on Monday, July 25. All users should receive the update in the next three weeks.
In Sprint’s preproduction testing, Nexus S 4G showed excellent performance. After receiving feedback from a small number of our customers, we conducted a secondary analysis of its performance with our partners at Google and Samsung and were able to identify some ways we could boost performance on Nexus S 4G.
These enhancements should increase 4G data speeds and signal strength for users. The software update also improves Wi-Fi connectivity, speakerphone audio quality and adds TTY support for the deaf and hard of hearing.
“Nexus S 4G continues to be a highly sought after smartphone and performs very well for our customers. We are excited to make additional enhancements that will provide an even better user experience” said Fared Adib, vice president – Product Development, Sprint. “We’re committed to listening to our customers’ feedback and working with our partners to provide the best possible customer experience.”
Manufactured by Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), a leading global mobile phone provider and the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the United States, Nexus S 4G is the only Nexus S phone with 4G and provides a pure Google experience with Android™ 2.3, Gingerbread, the fastest version of Android available for smartphones.
Additional key features include:
- 1GHz Samsung application processor that produces rich 3D-like graphics, faster upload and download times and supports HD-like multimedia content
- Dedicated Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) to make playing mobile games, browsing the Web and watching videos a fast, fluid and smooth experience
- AMOLED™ touchscreen technology on a 4-inch Contour Display
- 5 megapixel rear-facing camera and camcorder and front-facing VGA camera.
- Gyroscope sensor to provide a smooth gaming experience when the user tilts the device up or down or pans the phone to the left or right
- 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability, supporting up to six Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously
- Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which allows the device to read information from everyday objects, like stickers and posters embedded with NFC chips
Nexus and Android are trademarks of Google, Inc.