Verizon already has the CDMA version of the Xperia Play and know the US has a GSM version. AT&T will be getting their first Playstation certified phone, the Xperia Play 4G will be available starting September 18. It will only be $49.99 with a 2-year agreement. It will run on AT&T’s 4G HSPA + Network. The Xperia Play 4G has dedicated gaming controls, it is running Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread, 4 inch 480 X 854 screen, Stereo Speakers, 7(seven) pre-loaded games, 1GHz CPU and Adreno 205 graphics processor, 5 mega-pixel back camera, VGA front-facing camera, and much more! It will be offered in an exclusive “stealth blue” color. The smartphone package comes with the Sony Ericsson Multimedia Dock DK300 and MC100 music cable. These accessories come in the Xperia Play Box with is exclusively available from AT&T. The AT&T Xperia Play 4G will be available on September 18 for the price of only $49.99 with a 2-year agreement. You can see the full press release below. Be sure to let us know if you go out and get the AT&T Xperia Play 4G.
Xperia™ PLAY 4G Keeps Favorite Video Games
At Your Fingertips Beginning Sept. 18
First PlayStation®-certified smartphone from AT&T available for $49.99 in AT&T stores and att.comDallas, Texas, September 08, 2011
- The Xperia™ PLAY 4G, combining a PlayStation®-certified gaming device with the capabilities and portability of an Android smartphone, arrives in AT&T* stores, and onlineon September 18 for $49.99 with a two-year agreement.
- The Xperia PLAY 4G has dedicated gaming controls built into the phone through a slide out controller including directional keypad, dual analog touch joystick, two shoulder buttons and the four iconic PlayStation symbol keys: circle, X, square and triangle.
- Running the Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) platform, the first PlayStation-certifiedsmartphone in the world features a brilliant 4” 480 x 854 screen and stereo speakers.
Only AT&T customers can choose the 4G-capable Xperia PLAY, offered in an exclusive “stealth blue” color. The smartphone package is complete with bonus accessories including the Sony Ericsson Multimedia Dock DK300 and MC100 music cable. In addition to providing a convenient charging station, the DK300 converts the Xperia PLAY’s screen to a large clock display, and the music cable lets you connect to external speakers.** The DK300 and music cable come in the Xperia PLAY box, only from AT&T.
In addition, the device is pre-loaded with seven games, some of which are exclusive, at no additional cost including:
- Dungeon Defenders™ Second Wave by Trendy Entertainment
- Asphalt™ 6 Adrenaline by Gameloft
- Star Battalion by Gameloft
- Madden NFL™ 11 by Electronic Arts
- The Sims™ 3 by Electronic Arts
- Tower Bloxx™: My City by Digital Chocolate
- Crash Bandicoot® by SCEA/Naughty Dog/Universal
AT&T customers will have access to 150 PLAY optimized games including Minecraft™ Pocket Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2 and Dead Space™ 2 for download and purchase through the “Get Games” recommender screen, easily accessible when you slide open the Xperia PLAY’s game controller.
Handheld Gaming and Smartphones Converge
The Xperia PLAY 4G offers a gamer’s wonderland by providing the on-the-go capabilities of an Android smartphone with the immersive entertainment appeal of a portable gaming device.
- Snapdragon chipset including a 1GHz CPU and Adreno 205 graphics processor (GPU)
- Runs on the Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) platform
- Sight and sound: 4” 480 x 854 screen, up to 60 frames per second graphics, stereo speakers
- Dual camera: 5MP rear and VGA forward-facing, with video recording and chat capabilities over Wi-Fi
- Hundreds of Xperia PLAY optimized games through Android Market or directly from the publishers
- Pre-loaded with seven Xperia PLAY optimized games from publishers such as Gameloft and EA.
Along with the great gaming and Android capabilities, the Xperia PLAY 4G from AT&T includes Facebook Inside Xperia, a suite of Facebook functions integrated into various applications, such as friends’ birthdays in the phonebook, a “like” button in the music player, photo tags in the media gallery, and YouTube video recommendations from friends.
Pricing and Availability
The Xperia PLAY 4G arrives in AT&T stores and online on Sept. 18 and will be available for $49.99 after a two-year contract with minimum data plan.
“Gamers and smartphone fans alike will delight in the Xperia PLAY 4G’s instant access to gaming and entertainment,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president, Devices, AT&T Mobilityand Consumer Markets. “We’re excited to offer a device that allows consumers to have fun while still staying on top of everything in their life.”
“Our fans on AT&T have been asking for Xperia PLAY and now we’re giving them everything they need in a smartphone with what they really want – an immersive gaming experience on AT&T’s 4G Network,” said Peter Farmer, Head of Marketing for North America, Sony Ericsson. “In addition to a constantly growing list of games exclusive to and optimized for Xperia PLAY, we know AT&T customers are really going to enjoy the uniquely Sony Ericsson social experience, including Timescape and Facebook Inside.”
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
**External speakers not included.
4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. Available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. Requires 4G device. Learn more at att.com/network.
References to screen size are measured diagonally
Important Information: Limited-time offer. Mobile broadband coverage and other coverage not available in all areas. See coverage map at store for details. Two year agreement with qualifying voice plan and a minimum $15 a month smartphone data plan required. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T’s owned wireless network coverage area. Up to $36 activation fee applies. Equipment price and availability may vary by market and may not be available from independent retailers. Early Termination Fee: None if cancelled in the first 30 days, but up to $35 restocking fee may apply to returns; thereafter up to $325. Some agents impose additional fees. Other conditions and restrictions apply. See contract for details. Sales tax calculated based on price of unactivated equipment.